Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hurry




Hurry
By Marie Howe

We stop at the dry cleaners and the grocery store
and the gas station and the green market and
Hurry up honey, I say, hurry,
as she runs along two or three steps behind me
her blue jacket unzipped and her socks rolled down.

Where do I want her to hurry to? To her grave?
To mine? Where one day she might stand all grown?
Today, when all the errands are finally done, I say to her,
Honey I'm sorry I keep saying Hurry—
you walk ahead of me. You be the mother.

And, Hurry up, she says, over her shoulder, looking
back at me, laughing. Hurry up now darling, she says,
hurry, hurry, taking the house keys from my hands.

2 comments:

Wmoon said...

OMG! I love that poem. There is also a country song about always in a hurry. I use to do that all the time ( ok...maybe I still do) to my children. What are we in a hurry for? I was reading your poems you posted and I love them. Poems are such a way to build your awareness to vocabulary.

Christina said...

Thank you very much! I am glad you enjoy the poems.

Best,
Christina